Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cheer

Hey there folks,


So with feeling generally down lately I've decided it's time to perk myself up with some positive cheerfullness on this blog. I am going to achieve this by listed all of the things that give me that happy warm and fuzzy feeling:



  • Being outside in the rain
    Yes, it's a health risk as they say, but I quite simply love the rain. And for me, getting caught in the rain adds something good to the day.

  • Looking back at my novel
    At the moment my novel is a bit neglected as I am just waiting to hear back from people about it. But the other day I flicked through it and felt that lovely nostalgic pride. The characters feel like familiar friends to me, and flicking through and reading bits remind me of when I wrote it and what inspired me. It reminds me of looking at an old favourite photo.

  • The start of Spring
    There's a certain feeling about the start of Spring that always makes me feel happy. It's the reminded or September holidays of the past, of music playing in the house with the sun streaming in and the promise of some change.

  • Reading Harry Potter
    What can I say? It's my comfort book.

  • Cuddles
    In my opinion, there is nothing nicer than someone showing you how much you mean to them by giving you a wonderful hug. And vice versa. I'm always up for a cuddle.

  • Rare perfect moments
    Very occasionally, I get this feeling of a perfect moment. I don't know if any of you get the same thing. It can be in a completely ordinary situation but it's this surreal sort of feeling that everything is right with your world. It's very calming and encouraging and is certainly a warm fuzzy moment.

There we go. That's as cheering as a basketful of Kittens. Mission accomplished!



4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,

    I know i have written before, I promise I'm not stalking you, I was actually hopeing to get some advice from you. I have read in a few of your posts that you are into acting/musical theatre and that you are auditioning for WAAPA etc...You also mentioned that you went to a day program where you learnt tips on auditioning and things. Being a bit of a budding acotr, I was wondering if you perhaps pass on some of the things they taught you, or anything you found helpful/useful.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Ah no worries :) I'd be happy to pass on some stuff to you!
    Are you interested in straight acting, or musical theatre? The workshop I did was aimed specifically at auditions for the Musical Theatre course. Some of the most important things they said was that it was important to not be to character focused in your songs - they want to get to know you! They said make sure you are completely prepared and you get there early warmed up and ready. They said it's important to choose songs that aren't too long or story driven as this makes them a bit repetative.
    Basically it's all very music theatre focused. In terms of monologues, it's well worth learning them by rote (so don't learn them with certain emotions etc) because if you structure it too much you'll be more focused on the staging that you prepared rather than the words and spontenaiety of it. Learning it by rote allows you to not have to think about the words, and instead really connect with what you're saying.

    Hope that helped a little bit, and good luck with your acting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous, thanks for taking the time to write back. I'm more focused on theatre, I wish I could to musical theatre because I adore it, but unfortunately when I sing it's not pretty.
    I'm glad to hear they encourage you to learn things by rote, that's what I've been focusing on doing at the moment. I remember in high school when doing monologues,you would structure it and do certain things at certain times, but in your opinion, when auditioning do you think it's okay to just stand and deliver?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah fair enough :)
    I think you always have to prepare it to a certain extent, but I think it's dangerous getting up there with every facial expression, movement etc. pre planned, then the emotions become contrived. Sometimes standing and delivering something gives you the chance to give way to whatever emotions legitimately come your way while you're connecting to the piece.
    So in summary, my opinion is to prepare it so your comfortable and ready, but don't inject to much forced emotion into it. Keep it real!

    ReplyDelete