Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ballet Slippers: Creative ambitions

To start off with, let me just apologise for the unnecessarily large font of the last post. I'm still getting the hang of the website, after all :)

So I thought I'd give you all a little bit of insight into the Ballet Slippers part of my life. In essence, it is the most important part, really. I absolutely adore musical theatre with every theatrical bone in my body. The Liza Minelli's, Judy Garlands, Julie Andrews and Gene Kelly's inspire me to leap onto the stage and launch into a song and dance routine with a couple of tap steps thrown in. I only really started being interested in musical theatre after my Dad showed me our old VHS of Jesus Christ Superstar. After that I was hooked, and Jesus Christ Superstar has remained my all time favourite musical: thank you sir Andrew Lloyd Webber.
At the moment, my life is about preparing for a career in musical theatre. I know how difficult it is to get into the industry (with performing parents I've grown up being warned about it) and I know that you can't rest on what skills you already have, you have to constantly be developing and growing and learning every day of your life. So, I've started Ballet, Tap and singing lessons, as well as continuing with my dance group YABC and hopefully doing some amateur theatre... well that's the plan anyway. Then, at the end of the year, I'll audition for WAAPA (Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts) and will hopefully get in to the three year musical theatre course.
*sigh*. It's a bit of a mouthful really. Every time someone asks me what I'm doing this year, I launch into this explanation. Maybe I should just write a pamphlet and hand it out...

Anyway, back to the topic. I had my second ballet class yesterday. The first one doesn't really count as I had to leave after fifteen minutes for work and didn't even finish barre, but yesterday I got the full deal, and boy was it a workout. Ballet must have once been a medieval form of torture, judging from the way I can barely stand today. Too many pas de chat's and ronds de jambes can probably kill a person. But it's obviously incredibly good for my leg strength.
Also started singing yesterday. I've never actually had formal lessons in singing, just YABC and constant singing everywhere I go, so it was good to settle down into some technique. I already did my practice today, being the vigilant girl I am, but I think I'll forgo my routine daily stretches today.

So I'm giving my first question to any readers out there. (Although first I should probably check that I even have readers, but what's the use of a blog if you don't throw yourself out into the void that is the internet once in a while?) To any of you musical theatre ambitionees out there, what are you doing to prepare for your career? I mean, really, this industry doesn't need prerequisites like others do, it's the talent that gets you through, but everyone starts somewhere and I'm curious to know where you all start. So leave a comment, if you have something to say. I can talk about it a little bit in my next Ballet Slippers blog. I hope to hear from you!
Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Em. You're amazingly dedicated!
    I'm sure you'll get into WAAPA; I mean, they'd be stupid not to have you there :)

    So, in all seriousness, should I ask for the autographed photo now or later :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I think your current preparation is more than adequate for your goals. I mean, you're taking it really seriously, and I think that attitude will lead to good things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done more preparation than me, me-thinks. I've been making loose plans for singing lessons and joining a tap class.
    If you're interested in doing some amateur theatre, I have to check if us YABC-ers can audition at a different time, but the University of Melbourne Music Theatre Association is doing the Wedding Singer and is auditioning Friday the 26th of Feb. I'll shoot you some details on facebook when I get some.

    ReplyDelete