Wednesday, August 11, 2010

WANT # 6

WANT # 6
To be acknowledged.
This one is a tough one because I really should know by now that being acknowledged generally does not happen often in writing or performing. That's the tortured life of an artistic soul, right? The deep and meaningful reason behind art is the eternal struggle for the all impossible acknowledgement. I think that's a great dramatic tagline for artists. It has just the right balance of self-deprecating depression and empty justification. Wow.

So even though every performer/writer/artist/dancer/tight-rope walking mime knows this, we seem to be the people who need acknowledgement the most. How ironic. Performers rely on their confidence and self-worth, and yet they will always want to know what other people think.

Who came up with this equation?!

So yes. As much as I know it's ridiculous, I want acknowledgement if I can get it. I want to know that I'm heading towards the right career, I want to know if I have a chance. In a perfect world, I would want for the amount of recognition I get to equal the amount of effort I put into something but that's not going to happen. Nevertheless, I want it.

I wonder, does a lack of acknowledgement take away the meaning in something? If a person performs the most amazing song ever heard in the world, with the most beautiful voice, and no one is there to hear it, does this make it less amazing? Just lately I've being thinking about this blog as an example. I don't know who reads this (if anyone) because I don't get told by web-hits or comments and the like, and that's fine. But still, I find it an incredibly depressing thought to think that I write these posts and there's a chance they will go unread. Maybe no one will read it. It sort of makes it feel a bit pathetic really.

So do you agree? A lack of acknowledgement can sometimes really damage the worth of something. On the flipside, too much acknowledgement can do the same.
Happy medium, I think!




ANYWAYS!

Moving on from the wants for a minute. I have news.

I am going to Europe.

!!!!

You read correctly!! In a month's time I shall be in Europe, in another country, on another continent, surrounded by people speaking another language.
Exciting, no??
More on this in a later post! For now, goodnight blogging world!

2 comments:

  1. I accidently stumbled across your blog and I have enjoyed reading it ever since... So just so you know, there is someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Performers rely on their confidence and self-worth, and yet they will always want to know what other people think."

    It has been my experience that people dont really want to know what other people think they want to know that other people thought they were terrific, they want to know that they are liked, admired and accepted, they want to be told they are good.

    True freedom to be a performer, to be the best performer/artist you can be, to reach and fulfill all your potential comes from acknowledging the gift you have - I am not just talking about your talent but also and importantly the opportunity to explore that talent and to actually stand in front of an audience (wether it be 1 person or thousands)and take them away on a journey - a shared and often times intimate journey.

    Confidence and self worth can quickly be replaced by fear and feelings of failure by listening too much to what other people think.

    Acknowledement must come from within ones self for then that will supply fuel for the bon fire of your inspiration, your commitment, your passion and your confidence to be who and what you are no matter the good or the bad that other people will inevitably say about you.

    ReplyDelete